Enfield Golf Club Golf Club
Back in 1893 six golfing enthusiats from Enfield started to knock a ball aound what was then known as the Old Park. Their number quickly grew to 25 and became known as the Old Park 25 Club and was one of the first 500 golf clubs to be formed in Great Britain.
At the turn of the Century the club became known as Enfield Golf Club. The club became increasingly popular and when applications exceeded the club limit a second club was formed - Bush Hill Park - Enfield's friendly neighbours.
James Braid was engaged as the architect of the new course. In those times the course ran out to Slades Hill by the Jolly Farmers pub. However, this land was sold and a new parcel of land was acquired in the 1920's which now contains holes 2, 3 & 4. . The general layout hasn't really changed since James Briad's alterations in 1929. It still stands the test of time to this day.
There is an area of historical significance located the course behind the 17th Green. There is a mound with a moat. It is believed that it may date back as far as Saxon times. It may have housed a dwelling for a park ranger during the Tudor period when the area was used as Royal Hunting Grounds.
The Moated area is now a wildlife sanctuary.